Billy Stairmand was once "an unheralded surfer from New Zealand" who took out 11-time world champ Kelly Slater at a surf contest. These days, Stairmand is one of the top New Zealand talents on the World Qualifying Series, accruing ever-important points and moving his way up the rankings. With a couple more decent results, that unheralded surfer can very likely land a spot on the World Tour, where he'll surely be known once and for all.
A talented aerialist and an undervalued power surfer, Stairmand has managed to put his smallish frame to full use. He's the life of every lineup and regularly turning the head of anyone in the area. Haling from Raglan, Stairmand groomed his full repertoire surfing the points and beachies the country is renowned for.
- 3x New Zealand National Champ
- 2014: =3rd, Quiksilver Saquarema Prime – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Prime)
- 2012: 3rd, Australian Open of Surfing (6*)
- 2011: 5th, Fantastic Noodles Kangaroo Island Pro (6*)
- 2010: 1st, Ferrolterra Movistar Pantin Classic (6*)
Sport(s) you practice