Tom Whitaker’s father moved his family from England to Oz to raise his three sons to become the best Rugby players in Australia. He succeeded with Tom’s brother, Chris, who was a member of the Wallabies, the Australian national team that defeated France to win the Rugby World Cup. But something went wrong with Tom, who heeded the call of the sunny surf, and by age 13, he was entering (and winning) competitions around Sydney.
An all-around athlete, but especially masterful in the water, "Whits" spent three years on the ASP World Qualifying Series before making the World Tour in 2003. Boasting a style that features classic rail work as well as progressive fin-free maneuvers, Whitaker has proven he has the goods to dissect all conditions with precision and finesse.
With an easy-going personality and wealth of knowledge and training and surfing, he's evolved into an ambassador/mentor/coach role. He’s a mentor to all the groms he surfs with on the Gold Coast, passing on a stellar work ethic and a sunny outlook on life.
- 2012: 5th, Telstra Drug Aware Pro – Margaret River (Prime)
- 2012: 3rd, O'Neill Coldwater Classic New Zealand (6*)
- 2011: 2nd, Super Surf International – Santa Catarina, Brazil (Prime)
- 2010: 5th, Reef Hawaiian Pro – Haleiwa, HI (Prime)
- 2009: 5th, Billabong Pro Teahupoo (WCT)
- 2008: 1st, Drug Aware Pro – Margaret River (6*)
- 2007: 3rd, Boost Mobile Pro – Trestles, California (WCT)
- 2007: 3rd, Rip Curl Pro Bells Beach (WCT)
- 2005: 3rd, Japan Quiksilver Pro (WCT)
- 2004: 2nd, Santa Catarina Pro – Brazil (WCT)
- 2003: Qualifies for the ASP World Tour
Sport(s) you practice